FSC vs Time

Bill Nostrom william_nostrom at med.unc.edu
Tue Aug 4 10:01:28 EST 1998

Hi all

I have a question. Has anyone looked at FSC (or any parameter) vs Time
with beads as a QC/alignment test? A quick  explanation: If you run
beads on a  FSC vs Time dotplot on low fluid control, you should get a
narrow but straight line. If you flip the fluid control switch to HI,
the line should widen, but
stay on the same straight path:

TIME|| xxxXXXXxxxxXXXxxxx
                     FSC

I was shown this little trick a few weeks ago for our sorter, and
applied it to our FACScans. We have one Scan that has been giving us
troubles with CV's and one that is ok. The one that is giving us the
problems with CV's looks fine for FSC vs time, but the one that is ok
gives me a strange pattern:

TIME|| xxxx        xxxxx        xxxxxx
         ||          XXX         XXX
                        FSC

So, I have 2 questions. 1st, what is the benefit of running this test? I
am assuming that it is an indication of proper stream placement in the
laser. If the narrow core stream is where it should be, then the wider
one should be right too. Right? 2nd question. If this second pattern is
telling me my laser isn't right, why are my CV's good? Our BD rep was
just here and says it is fine.  Oh, another thing. I only see this on
FSC vs Time. When I look at SSC or FL1, everything looks ok. Any
suggestions?
TIA,
Bill Nostrom