Magnetic beads and cell activation

hwortis_sup@OPAL.TUFTS.EDU hwortis_sup at OPAL.TUFTS.EDU
Sat Apr 18 22:58:28 EST 1998

We have recently had unexpected experience after purifying mouse B
lymphocytes by NEGATIVE selection with magnetic beads.  We found that by
some (but not many) criteria, the cells had been activated.  We had the
same observation twice.  The cells resumed their resting phenotype if left
in medium overnight.  In many experiments we have never observed thatB
cells prepared by complement-dependent lysis of T cells to have this
phenotype.

Has anyone had a remotely similar experience?  If so, was the problem
found to be limited to certain prepartions of beads?  or particular lots
of beads?  Or was the problem found to have some other cause?

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Henry H. Wortis
Department of Pathology
Tufts University School of Medicine