magnetic beads

Carleton C. Stewart stewart at sc3101.med.buffalo.edu
Fri Apr 17 12:07:58 EST 1998

Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 07:58:44 -0400
From: michael kornstein <mkornste at hsc.vcu.edu>
To: cyto-inbox
Subject: RE: today's news

The front page of our newspaper today describes a new technique for
detecting tumor cells in the blood using magnets to concentrate the
cells.  The cited  reference is the just released issue of PNAS.  Dr
Stewart of Roswell Park is quoted as to the importance of the study.
Although the words "flow cytometry" are not mentioned, I wondered if, in
fact, the concentrated cells are then detected by flow.  Is anyone
familiar with this study? How easily adaptable is it for clinical use?
/Michael Kornstein, MD, Richmond, VA

In answer to the above:

Magnetic beads were used to enrich for tumor cells that were measured by
flow cytometry using CD45 and cytokeratin. My comments expressed my
enthusiasm for the test but identity of positive events required separate
verification. C. Stewart

###########################################################********
Carleton C. Stewart, Ph.D.
Director, Laboratory of Flow Cytometry
Roswell Park Cancer Inst.
Elm & Carlton Sts.
Buffalo, NY 14263
Fax: (716) 845-8806
Voice: (716) 845-8471

Happiness is good wine, good friends, grandchildren and trains!
and

Sigrid Stewart
Executive Assistant to the Laboratory of Flow Cytometry, RPCI and
The Great Lakes International Imaging and Flow Cytometry Association
Fax: (716) 845-8806
Voice: (716) 845-4579