staining of cord blood CD34+ cells

April G. Durett/MDACC April G. Durett/MDACC
Fri Nov 22 15:43:15 EST 1996

We are not experiencing the background problems with either CB, marrow, or
peripheral blood evaluation of CD34.  Our backgrounds are usually 0-0.05%
(10,000 total  or 50,000 live gate acquisition) with FITC, PE, or PerCP
conjugated flourochromes.  Our assay volume is 150-200uL containing titrated
range 10^5 - 10^6 cells and titrated CD34, diluent is PBS+1%(v/v)goat serum
+0.1%(w/v)sodium azide, incubation 30min /wet ice/dark.  We set up two negative
controls : autofluorescence and protein concentration matched isotype control.
We are using an amonium chloride lyse buffer, 3-4mL/15min/room temp/dark,
sediment cells 800g/5min and wash with 3-4mL of the PBS solution.  A source of
the high non-specific binding may be related to the type of tube that your are
using; we use minisorp tubes from Nunc Inter-Med Inc (Denmark) as they are a
polyethylene specially treated  to minimize protein adsorption onto the plastic
and subsequent leaching during cell washing.

April G. Durett
Technology Transfer - Flow Cytometry
Blood & Marrow Transplantation
Univ Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center