Isotype Controls

Alice L. Givan Alice.L.Givan at Dartmouth.EDU
Tue Mar 26 11:19:32 EST 1996

One more point to add about isotype controls (forgetting just now the issue of
how good an isotype control is if one knows neither its concentration nor its
F/P ratio):
While it is probably OK to batch isotype controls if one is concerned simply
with finding the percent of cells in a population that are positive for a given
marker (and that marker is clearly brighter than the batched isotype controls)
-- it is probably *not* OK to batch isotype controls if one is concerned with
the intensity of the stained cells (and one is intending to subtract the
isotype control intensity from the intensity of the positive cells).

Because of all these problems,  I believe I have heard that the latest US
clinical guidelines  will recommend that isotype controls are not necessary
(i.e. a waste of time and money ?).  Perhaps some clinical people can confirm
this for the network.

Yet Again,
Alice Givan