Apoptosis

T. Vincent Shankey tshanke at bsd.meddean.luc.edu
Thu Mar 21 12:18:41 EST 1996

Over the past year, there has been increasing interest in the area of
apoptosis and the use of flow and image cytometry in assessment of this
physiologically important process. From the posted notices I perceive the
need for: (1) standardized methodologies to evaluate apoptosis, (2)
development of cytometric techniques and probes to study the process(es),
and (3) application of flow and image techniques to study apoptosis in
model systems as well as the real world (human tissues).

In parallel, I have noticed a significant increase in: (1) the numbers of
papers published in "mainstream" journals (Cell, Cancer Research, etc)
dealing with apoptosis, (2) the significant numbers of these papers using
flow cytometry, (3) the significant differences in techniques (and
interpretation) used to measure apoptosis in flow, and (4) the percent of
these papers published by ISAC members (seems low to me).

I think that it is time for the cytometry community to take the lead in
this expanding (and as yet largely uncharted) area of biology research!
The Scientific Advisory Committee of ISAC has the responsibility of
organizing focused, thematic meetings on topics of interest to the
cytometry community. As a member of this committee, I would welcome
comments through this BBS regarding the possibility of an ISAC sponsored
meeting on this theme. Please place your comments regarding topics,
themes, possible speakers, workshop sessions, etc. on this BBS (subject
to J. Paul Robinson's approval!).
Thanks in advance

Vince Shankey
Loyola Univ Med Cntr