quantifying mitochondria -Reply

mohedley@spiff.pmh.toronto.on.ca mohedley at spiff.pmh.toronto.on.ca
Thu Mar 21 10:18:51 EST 1996

We have some experience labelling mitochondria with dodecyl acridine
orange. This is obtainable from Molecular Probes, has similar spectra to
FITC, and labels live cells. Unlike rhodamine 123 it is probably not
dependent on mitochondrial membrane potential, and might therefore give
a more accurate measurement of the number of mitochondria per cell. I
have no idea why it should be specific for mitochondria, but when we did
some confocal work in Paul Robinson's lab this appeared to be the case.
There are references to this compound in the Molecular Probes
catalogue.

David Hedley