Quantifying LIVE CELLS

PHALLBERG_at_WRAIR__GUDE__1@mail.hjf.org PHALLBERG_at_WRAIR__GUDE__1 at mail.hjf.org
Tue Mar 19 08:23:34 EST 1996

  REGARDING           Quantifying LIVE CELLS

I am planning to run a survival bioassay were then I can quantitate LIVE =
cells only using the flowcytometer.
I called Molecular Probes and they suggested "SYTOX" which stains dead =
cells  only (but will not cross the membrane of live cells).  Have anyone =
used this stain before?  Advantages or Disadvantages?
or is there a live cell staining? Suggestions......

Osama Nabulsi
AMGEN INC.
(805)447-1594

Hi Osama,

Try using "Green Cell Tracker dye(CMFDA)" from Molecular Probes. This stains
viable cells at 1.0 uM concentrations. Staining is immediate with fluorescence
excitation at 490nm.

Good Luck,

Paul Hallberg
Retrovirology/HMJF