HP- IBM data transfer

Joseph Webster J.Webster at centenary.usyd.edu.AU
Thu Mar 7 12:58:27 EST 1996

At 01:24 PM 6/03/96 -0600, David L. Haviland, Ph.D. wrote:
>Greeting fellow "cytometrists"...
>This may be a bit silly, but is there a reason why hooking the two
>machines through a null-modem cable and communications software wouldn't
>work for this purpose?  For example, just have both machines run Kermit
>or Procomm and be connected serially with a null-modem cable?

Yes, it certainly would work, and very cheaply if you can find the software;
There was a version of Kermit for the HP that I had once, but I don't have it
any more. I've never seen Procomm for HP Pascal.

The disadvantage of this method is time!
Assuming a connect speed of 9600 baud (max for the HP Kermit I had) then
the shortest possible time to transfer a 100Kb file would be about 11
seconds.
The maximum actual transfer speed is always a lot less than the line speed,
so I would expect a 100Kb file to take around 15 to 20 seconds.
Then multiply that by the number of files to transfer...

     Joseph.