networking mac and pc

Ray Hicks rh208 at cus.cam.ac.uk
Mon Jun 10 05:38:48 EST 1996

Hi Rochelle,

There is a good shareware internet-serving application for the mac called
NetPresenz (it used to be called ftpd).  I've used it for a while and have
had no problems serving local users, or internet people (I have had
problems with the disc I was using to serve the data from, so my server's
down for a while).

You give people access privileges using the mac's "Users and Groups"
control panel in the same way as you do for a local network. You can get
NetPresenz from:

*       <ftp://mirrors.aol.com/pub/peterlewis/>
*       <ftp://ftp.share.com/pub/peterlewis/>
*       <ftp://ftp.amug.org/pub/peterlewis/>
*       <ftp://redback.cs.uwa.edu.au/Others/PeterLewis/>
*       <ftp://ftp.nig.ac.jp/pub/mac/PeterLewis/>
*       <ftp://nic.switch.ch/software/mac/peterlewis/>

I can't comment on server software for the PC I'm afraid, but I'm sure that
others will.

Fetch is a useful client program for transferring files to and from an ftp
server using the mac.

Hope this helps

Ray

At 11:14 am 6/6/96, Rochelle A. Diamond wrote:
>I need advice on the best way to network Facscan/MAC system and an elite/
>pc system to a file server to send files to the user community.  Any
>suggestions on file servers, networking solutions for crossplatform
>problem, network software.  We would like to put in a grant to do this
>and I need to know how other people are currently solving these
>problems.  We have a Coulter Elite w/486, a Facsan which we will upgrade
>to the MAC, and an old Ortho 50H with 2150 hooked up with cytolink to a
>386.  Can anyone advise me?
>
>Thanks,
>Rochelle Diamond
>Caltech Flow Cytometry/Cell Sorting Facility

                              Ray Hicks
|University of Cambridge          |Tel              01223 330149        |
|Department of Medicine           |Fax             01223 336846         |
|Level 5, Addenbrookes Hospital   |e-mail         rh208 at cus.cam.ac.uk   |
|Hills Road Cambridge             |Web Page/   facsmac.med.cam.ac.uk    |
|CB2                              |ftp server    131.111.80.78          |
|UK                               |                                     |