Old Parformaldehyde

David L. Haviland, Ph.D. haviland at kids.wustl.edu
Thu Nov 2 17:49:30 EST 1995

On Thu, 2 Nov 1995, Michael J. Herron wrote:

> I have read the warnings to only use "fresh" parformaldehyde for fixation, but I
> don't recall ever hearing why.
> Could someone explain the sorts of artifacts that old paraformaldehyde will
> introduce?  And what exactly IS old?

Good Question.

We make up a 2%pf solution in PBS and keep that in the dark, 4'C.  When
needed, we make up the working (user) solution of a 1% pf in PBS - this
1% we make up fresh each time.  HOwever, the 2% stock has been made and
stored for up to whenever we need to make it again.  That has often been
as much as 6 months.

David
+  David L. Haviland, Ph.D.	     Internet:"haviland at kids.wustl.edu"   +
+  Washington Univ. School of Med.   A.K.A : The Compiler                 +
+  Dept. of Peds./Pulm. Box 8116     ICBM-Net : Just hit St. Louis        +
+  400 S. Kingshighway               &-6  <- User is Brain Dead...        +
+  St. Louis, MO  63110              FAX: 314-454-2476                    +
+  (314) 454-6076                                                         +
+                 Will clone and sequence genes for food.                 +