VALUES FOR %S IN CANCER TISSUE

Bruce Davis, MD - Clinical Pathology bdavis at beaumont.edu
Mon Jun 19 10:08:31 EST 1995

What our laboratory does is follow the concensus conference
recommendations and use our local experience to establish separate ranges
for high, intermediate, and low %S (1/3, 1/3, 1/3) cutoffs of aneuploid
and diploid tumors separately.  This is admittedly an arbutrary approach
and requires analyzing >100 tumors for each ploidy group, is better than
doing nothing.  I share your belief that to clinically report breast tumor
analysis without references ranges is next to worthless or at least
clearly poor laboratory practice.

I like your idea of collating the responses you get; it would be interesting.

Bruce H. Davis, M.D.
Dept. of Clinical Pathology
Wm Beaumont Hospital
Royal Oak, MI 48073