Reply to Steve Kelley

CLIVEG@niv.ac.za CLIVEG at niv.ac.za
Fri Dec 9 12:42:02 EST 1994

We are a small virology institute - approximately 25 scientists -
working on a range of viruses. We wish to purchase a sorter
to fit into our HIV/TB lab. At present we have a FACscan of 1987
vintage. We are thinking of purchasing either a FACsort or an EPICS
ELITE and would appreciate feedback and advice concerning the
following: suitability for virus work in terms of biohazard safety,
ease of use, sorting capabilities, the mac vs IBM platform,
possibilities for upgrades (ie fitting on extra lasers for 4 or 5
colour work).

Other points concerning BD equipment. In South Africa BD does not
have a direct presence. They have an agency which is not dedicated to
flow, which has been somewhat unsatisfactory. We therefore do not
know anything about BD in this country. Please give feedback on
reliability of equipment and whether we may pull our hair out!

Clive