[Csc] PhD Candidate at University of Bergen, Norway

Alex Pothen apothen at purdue.edu
Thu Nov 17 21:30:16 EST 2011

The Department of Informatics at The University of Bergen, Norway, has a vacant position for a PhD candidate. The application deadline is December 15th 2011.  See http://www.jobbnorge.no/job.aspx?jobid=78469 for how to apply (click on the 'English' link). An applicant must either hold a master degree or have submitted his or hers master thesis before the application date. The position is for four years and has a gross starting salary of NOK 391 300 (currently about $71500 or EUR 51000).

The position is open within all fields that the department conducts research in. The reason why I am posting this to the CSC list is that currently I have the possibility of taking on a PhD student within the field of parallel algorithms in combinatorial scientific computing. My research interests are particularly in parallel graph algorithms. Thus a student should have a strong background in algorithms, programming, and parallel computing.

Note that the position is highly competitive, thus there is no point in applying unless you are an exceptional candidate with the right background. The working language is English and should be mastered both written and orally. If you wish to apply and to list me as advisor you should contact me in advance at Fredrik.Manne at ii.uib.no.

See also http://www.ii.uib.no/~fredrikm for more information on my research.

Fredrik Manne