[Citizendium-l] sysop proposal for Larry; the 300

Joe Szilagyi joe at szilagyi.us
Sat Sep 23 18:40:34 EDT 2006

 > I like it. The only thing I would add is that this should be only a
 > temporary system until something more long-term is in place. Sure,
give us
 > all the bit - but take it away after, say, six months (or keep giving it
 > to everyone who joins). What you definitely don't want to have in your
 > system is a bunch of old-timers who got privileged status in the
beginning
 > when it was really easy and then are only half-heartedly held responsible
 > for what they do.

I renamed the subject once more as my idea is really quite seperate from
the original thing I replied to. Short version:

For launch, and to help initially control things, Larry would sysop all
the people subscribed to the list, by a date such as 9/22/06, pre
launch. That group will have no more long term special rights than any
other sysopped person. They/we simply came first, to help manage and
keep the ship sailing straight. All of us by a defined point in the
future need a proper community endorsement.

Long version:

A thought on this, that could be feasible: for hypothetical arguments
sake (and strictly for purposes of being able to refer conversationally
to the Original Admins, as such) lets call us The 300. We get the sysop
bit 'up front', to simply help keep things under control for Larry, and
to steer things as they will go. Anyone gets foul, stupid, or what have
you--the community and up and removes their bit. Or Larry does.

To keep things fair, once a formalized Become A Sysop (BaS) system is in
place, each one of the 300 is kept on a special  list. Assuming the
Wikipedia space equivalent on Citi wll be Citizendium: or Citi:. It
could be something like [[CITI:300]], which would list all of us. Not as
a place of honor, or anything--simply, this is who's is/on/was on the
initial list.

Let's say within 12 months of the formalization of the BaS being live
and functional, and non-300 admins walking about working, each one of
the remaining 300 is required to go through the BaS process themselves.
Assuming 1) we're not bad people; 2) we're of use to the community, we
get full confirmed. And we get a cute little checkmark .png or .svg
graphic next to our name CITI:300 indicated we've been community
confirmed at last. Any of the 300 who don't, won't, or fail BaS within
12 months of it's successful start are welcome to remain, but simply
lose the sysop bit. *Perhaps* 300s would have a slightly different
threshold for confirmation, compared to n00bs as they were. That can be
hashed out later.

So hows this for a basic First Fully Fleshed Out Policy Proposal:

1. Larry obtains the list of all the people on the list, say by 9/22/06
(200-300 people give or take).
2. All of them are made "sysop" status.
3. Instantly, we'd have up to 300 or so people ready to help run things.
4. Not all of us will be fully experienced in being an admin. This might
be a good thing, so preconceived (e.g. Wikipedia) notions may not carry
over.
5. We serve, honor, respect, and uphold the ideals of Citi, and keep the
bad people at bay.
6. All of the 300 will be listed at CITI:300. This will connote nor
imply *ANY* special rank or priviledge. In any way.  At all. Its just a
list of us.
7. Eventually, a proper Become A Sysop (BaS, CITI:BAS ?) system will be
developed out of need. All of the remaining 300 at this point within 12
months of a couple of successful sysoppings happening under BaS will be
required to go through it themselves. Those that succeed stay on, and
get a pretty check mark next to their name on CITI:300 as confirmed
finally. Those that don't are now a regular Editor or Author and get a
"not confirmed" icon until they are. No hard feelings.
8. Again, being a 300 means nothing, except you got it first--a sysop
that joins Citi in 2009 and gets the bit in 2012 would for example have
the same power of authority in general as any other sysop, even the 300
(just assuming we use a "how WP *should* be style of looking at it).
8a. *Maybe* the confirm process for a 300 may be slightly easier than
others. Not sure how I feel about that, but it can be hashed out *after*
the other systems are in place.

That's it.

Notes: Nothing any of us does if bad can't be undone in MediaWiki. A
fully formed insta-force, as it was/will be, will be helpful in keeping
vandals from running berserk. If one of us goes rouge (which should be
discouraged), we can keep each other in check easily.

There. Thoughts? Larry?

Regards,
Joe Szilagyi
joe at szilagyi.us