[Citizendium-l] Consumer information database

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 21:54:11 EST 2006

There would be real value for such a database, but it is so much different
from the values
we have been thinking of, that it certainly would not fit into the
structure.
It would make a good, separate, wikiproject.

in order to be useful,  it would need to link to catalogs and manufacturers
web sites,
and product reviews, and link to all of them. Some of the best product
reviews, such as  CR, are not free access, and we would either have to make
links, for which people would then have to subscribe. From using such sites,
much of the value is in links to local merchants--both as far as the
merchants and the buyers are concerned.

This has the potential to be a  ethical business. But its not our business,
and the potential harm to our reputation is very considerable.

PS: Based on pure guesswork I took a look at
http://catalogs.google.com/catalogs. It is not very comprehensive,

On 10/31/06, Bob Futrelle <bob.futrelle at gmail.com> wrote:

> If such a thing did exist, it would be valuable.  Why then does not
> such a valuable thing exist already?  Its non-existence is telling us
> something (a  lot, I would say).
>
> I'm not saying it's impossible.  There may be a way to do it. But my
> immediate reaction is that it would distract us.  CZ can be far more
> than an online version of the Br. That alone could keep us all busy
> and be valuable.  The point of CZ is to be a Wiki *and* be
> authoritative.  If consumer-related things were appropriate and
> important and in-demand for a Wiki, why isn't the Wikipedia itself
> jammed with them?
>
> - Bob
>
> On 10/31/06, Dave Truncellito <truncell at gwu.edu> wrote:
> >
> >  Dear Bob (if I may) and all:
> >
> >  I'm inclined to disagree.  If this is just going to be another
> > encyclopedia, then what advantage does it have over, say, the online
> version
> > of Brittanica?  Sure, it'd be free and current, but I think that the
> greater
> > part of Wikipedia's appeal is its scope.  And here we have an
> opportunity to
> > broaden that scope in an intriguing way.
> >
> >  Is your thought that it'd be impossible for there to be a neutral
> consumer
> > information database?  If such a thing existed, wouldn't it be a
> valuable
> > resource?
> >

> > Dave
> >
> > David A. Truncellito, Ph.D.
> >
> > If you have an apple and I have an apple
> >
> > and we exchange these apples,
> >
> > then you and I will still each have one apple.
> >
> > But if you have an idea and I have an idea
> >
> > and we exchange these ideas,
> >
> > then each of us will have two ideas.
> >
> >                      --George Bernard Shaw
> >

> > Assistant Professor of Writing, The George Washington University
> >
> > 2100 Foxhall Road NW, Washington, DC  20007
> >
> > truncell at gwu.edu
> >
> > http://home.gwu.edu/~truncell
> >

> >  Bob Futrelle wrote:
> >  The Encyclopedia Britannica with "neutral" information about body
> > oils, cookware, motor oil, vibrator beds, rat poison?! All legitimate
> > consumer items, of course.
> >
> > Absurd. I'd rather be poor but honest. I certainly wouldn't want to
> > be associated with a system that has consumer items on it. I didn't
> > work my tail off for years to achieve the freedom to pursue knowledge
> > in a tenured position to end up hawking stuff - that's all it would be
> > - hawking stuff, any way you spin it. Google does page ranks,
> > shopping sites rank products and dealers, Amazon has customer reviews,
> > Consumer Reports has useful tests and analyses. Having "neutral"
> > items on consumer goods and services is close to an oxymoron in this
> > world.
> >
> > I've had numerous opportunities over the years to get involved with
> > commercial interests. I've just said no. I'm not rich, but I'm
> > happy. And I intend to stay that way.

> [...]

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.