[Citizendium-l] Include in Citizendium a built-in bibliographicdatabase manager for authors & editors

Larry Sanger sanger-lists at citizendium.org
Mon Oct 30 02:45:18 EST 2006

Dear Dr. Sebastian,

If I understand what a BDM is, I'm sure it would be very useful some fields,
such as medicine.  If the decision ends up in my hands (and, if the decision
isn't made for a few years, it might not be), then what I will want to see
is a clear explanation of what problem such a system solves, whether a
system available to us would actually solves them efficiently, and what
further problems it might generate.  In other words, a project proposal
together with an exploration of the relevant arguments, and technical
requirements.  This then would be given to the Executive Committee that I
want to set up soonish.

Let me explain one of my own constraints on making such decisions.  A
problem that Wikipedia has had is that people (programmers and people who
just like to make small edits to the system) have had all sorts of "cool
ideas" for new stuff, and no one was around to say "no" or simply "let's
think about this more systematically please."  So templates, categories,
portals, instructions, etc., to say nothing of new projects that were never
very well thought out, just kept getting piled on top of each other.  The
result is a bit of a mess for the user and a headache for the contributor.
(Ultimately, I think the problem is that Wikipedians think of themselves too
often as first and foremost a community, so that what they do is done to
make contributors happy, rather than to produce high-quality work.)

Something that *used* to be a constraint on Wikipedia feature proposals
(when I was around ;-) ) was that new features should not make it
appreciably more difficult for people to dive in and get to work.  Now, I
can understand that some really useful things might require a bit more
complexity, but more complexity really has to pay for itself.  Why?  Because
the payoff of simplicity is extremely high.  A large part of the reason for
Wikipedia's take-off is precisely that it's simple--the wiki markup is easy
to master, and the concept of what we're doing (writing encyclopedia
articles) is pretty simple, too.

Frankly, I think we need to discuss in some more detail what the basic
principles of citation should be.  If we want to create an *expert-level*
encyclopedia of medicine, then of course there should be many citations.
But the notion that some Wikipedians have forwarded, that there should be
citations for virtually every positive claim, is simply ridiculous.
Wikipedians may feel they need that simply to satify themselves that people
aren't adding information fraudulently.  But with expert editors able to
make decisions about articles, we will not have that same motivation.

To get really clear about this, I think we need an answer to a fundamental
question, namely, "What is the purpose of citations in encyclopedia
articles?"  Notice I do not say "What is the purpose of citations?" simply.
Citations serve different purposes in different works.  What purpose do they
serve *in encyclopedia articles*?  And in encyclopedia articles of different
levels?

Note, for instance, that a BDM would presumably not pay its own way if we
were writing a children's encyclopedia--even if the children's encyclopedia
had some citations.

--Larry