[Citizendium-l] Include in Citizendium a built-in bibliographic database manager for authors & editors

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 02:15:46 EST 2006

Until very recently, Reference Manager was the only commonly used program
that had true network capabilities, including
multiuser access to the same file.
Individuals do not need a copy of the program, and the files are maintained
on a local server.

Other programs resided on one's individual computer, and sharing files was a
nuisance. The current version of
EndNote also has limited networking  capability, though not multiuser access
to the same file.
I have used Reference Manager in the network mode, when it was unavoidable,
and the central capability
did make for convenient use no matter
where on the internet you happened to be, like Google spreadsheets. In all
other respects I consider it a very
troublesome program. It is most useful if you start it from scratch as you
search databases--manual entry of
references is exceptionally tiresome. I've never tried importing EndNote
files into it--it could undoubtedly be
done, but the length of the instructions is intimidating.

On a stand-alone basis, I and probably most people strongly prefer EndNote.
But i have no experience with it in the
shared mode, and nobody else will  have very long experience, as the feature
is new this year.

Endnote works on a Mac or a PC. RefMan only works on a windows PC, tho the
new Intel Macs should have no problems.
It would be quite a nuisance for some of us to need to work on a PC, but it
would provide a  good reason to get a newer mac.
as far as I know neither of them work on any version of Linux or unix.

There is another product from the same company called WriteNote, about which
I have no experience. It is supposed to operate on
PC, Mac, or Linux, and is entirely web-based. Some of its key capabilities
work only on windows. It seems to be a low-end product.

On 10/29/06, Bob Futrelle <bob.futrelle at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've always used EndNote. What is the difference between EndNote and
> Reference Manager?  Would RM be preferred for CZ (as I abbreviate
> Citizendium in own notes).
>
> - Bob
>
> On 10/29/06, Anthony Sebastian <Anthony_Sebastian at msn.com> wrote:
> > Sunday, October 29, 2006
> >
> > Dear Mr. Sanger:
> >
> > I have participated in the Citizendium forums (as Anthony.Sebastian) and
> > have suggested in the technical forum consideration of incorporating a
> > bibliographic database manager (BDM) in Citizendium.  I received
> favorable
> > Pro-Cite, would greatly assist author/editors in including
> source-citations
> > in the text, and in generating reference lists.  Most academics I know
> > depend on the functionality of BDMs.
> >
> > Citizendium's BDM would allow authors/editors to cite while they wrote,
> > automatically generate reference lists, and search of many online
> database
> > from outside sources (e.g., Library of Congress, individual university
> > library catalogs, PubMed, Agricola, LexisNexis Academic). An enormous
> > number of such databases exist (e.g., see
> > http://www-sul.stanford.edu/catdb/alldata.html#l), giving author/editors
> > access to millions of citation-sources for documenting their articles.
> > Citizendium's BDM would allow easy copying of citation-sources
> (articles,
> > books, websites, etc.) from those databases to an article's individual
> > database.
> >
> > Citizendium needs to make it easy for an author/editor to render her
> article
> > scholarly and authoritative, to maximize the quality and instructiveness
> of
> > the article, to facilitate completing the article, and thus to
> facilitate
> > the growth of Citizendium.
> >
> > Below, see a letter I composed to the president of Thomson ResearchSoft,
> > maker of the three major BDMs, urging him to contact you to consider the
> > possibility of incorporating the functionality of Reference Manager into
> > Citizendium's writing tools.  I would not transmit it without your okay.
> > You might want to consider a different approach if the BDM idea appeals.
> >
> > Sincerely yours,
> >
> > Anthony Sebastian, M.D.
> > Professor of Medicine
> > UCSF
> >

> > To: President of Thompson ResearchSoft
> >
> > Dear Sir:
> >
> > You undoubtedly have heard of Wikipedia, the online, user-developed
> > encyclopedia. The premiere science journal, Nature, gave it high marks
> in
> > comparison with Encyclopedia Britannica.
> >
> > Now, the originator of Wikipedia, Larry Sanger, has started a new
> "version",
> > Citizendium, targeting more authoritative articles. See his introductory
> > essay: http://citizendium.org/essay_shorter.html.

> [...]

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.