[Citizendium-l] Editorial dispute resolution

Hasan Murtaza hasan_murtaza at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 17 15:39:24 EDT 2006

This system of rules is one way to handle the conflicting viewpoint problem
which I came up with.

In all cases, the intermediate steps and discussion leading up to the final
result would be kept online, and would be as interesting to people following
the story as the final result itself.

Trivial case:
0. if there is an obivous troll who, then reject its comments, and refute it
if need be.

The more common case will be when there are are two reasonable people who
both stick to their guns and refuse to see eye to eye on an issue.  Then:

1. The editors should present both of them with each others point of view,
restated by the editors  in a neutral form (by then the editors should have
quite a lot of practise doing this.)  The ultimate hope in this stage is for
a resolution to come from the two parties themselves.

2. if conflict still persists, then either do a "reductio ad absurbdam",
which where the hope is that insisting on adding more depth to the
discussion will force each party to consider their view more carefully.  In
this type of resolution, the whole issue is taken out of the realm of
opinion and reduced to nothing more than fact.  Then each side has the right
to put as many facts as they want on the table, but both parties will not be
allowed to draw any generalizations from it or insert anything resembling a
conclusive opinion in the final article:  the result will look like a tanlge
of facts inside the elegant prose of an article, and it will be as visible
as a scab on the surface of healthy skin.  Obviously any discussion can go
no furthur nor can it influence anybody once you have removed all
generalizations and opinions.  But this is the hidden "metabolic cost" of
conflict, and so the result will be a desire to avoid all such behaviour in
the future.  When the issue has been considered calmly, then maybe the
article would be cleaned up in the future by more disinterested authors.

One funny anecdote helps to illustrate the idea of stultifying your
opposition.  In the 1800s there was a run on the banks in San Francisco, and
people were withdrawing their money from the banks due to rumours that a
large bank was going to fail (and this cascade of events starting taking all
kinds of banks down.)  The local Wells Fargo bank manager saw a mob of men
angrily asking to close their accounts, so he loaded up all the money in the
vaults into a wheelbarrow and took it out front and declared "now gentlemen,
I intend to pay everybody back in full, but I am going to count this money
out exactly to make sure you won't be missing even a dime."  So he started
to count out dollars and cents, two or three times, all day, until most of
the men just got bored and left.  The result was that his bank was saved
when others crashed.

That sounds to me like the perfect way to handle troll like behaviour.  Take
it to the extreme of rigour and let the trolls exhaust themselves expressing
themselves in submitting facts--but do not allow them to express an opinion
(since that is what the trolls are lacking...they do not have enough empathy
to even deal politely with their opponents, much less understand them.)
These two rules will be enough to handle most of the problems which arise.
If not, then just adding more editors and authors to the discussion should
reduce it to one of the two options mentioned above.

Hasan