[Citizendium-l] Encyclopedia

Zachary Pruckowski zachary.pruckowski at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 13:01:57 EDT 2006

I didn't mean that we're creating only "for" someone, I meant that in
the sense of that's the maximum level of reading comprehension that
should be necessary for most articles.  A person with a 10th-12th
grade education should be able to understand the articles, or the
articles should provide backlinks to "grounding" articles.  I see
Citizendium's purpose as helping provide a basic level of
understanding.  Reading the Citizendium articles on a subject won't
prepare you for the midterm, but they might be a nice extra resource.

I think of Citizendium's purpose as a revision of Wikipedia as
opposed to a completely new model.  We're version 1.5 in my mind - we
know what didn't work, and so we're refining it.  As I see it, by
making people take personal responsibility for their contributions,
and by giving "experts" a mentoring role, we're helping make a
resource that anyone can contribute to while simultaneously making
one that's reliable and accurate.

If I were an expert or academic, I'd be more excited about CZ than I
already am.  If a person is an academic (at least from my
interactions with them), then they want to expand human knowledge.
We're offering them a way to continue teaching people.  Besides,
professors (at least mine) have some pressure on them to do something
to bring attention to the school (either by publishing or doing
something notable), especially in their quest for tenure or a chair.
As I see it, if CZ becomes big enough, being an "editor" might look
good on your CV, and I could see a point 4-5 years from now where
colleges like UVA and Oakland University talk that up when they talk
about how smart and accomplished their professors are.

Just some thoughts from a random contributor (and definitely a non-
expert)

Zachary Pruckowski
UVA Arts and Sciences Class of 2009
(which looks puny in response to "Vice-Provost" and "Dr.")