[Citizendium-l] Editorial dispute resolution

Hasan Murtaza hasan_murtaza at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 14 13:51:29 EDT 2006

>From: "Larry Sanger" <sanger at citizendium.org>
>To: <citizendium-l at lists.purdue.edu>
>Subject: [Citizendium-l] Editorial dispute resolution
>Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 20:03:17 -0700
>
>Dear all,
>
>I want to start a discussion about how to resolve disputes among editors, a
>topic we haven't really hashed through yet.  It is one of the most
>important
>topics that I *haven't* yet written about in the CZ policy doc (it's taking
>a long time because I keep getting distracted by other stuff!), and the
>reason I haven't is that I'm not sure what to say yet.  It's not that I
>have
>no ideas, either (since when did I ever lack for ideas?).  It's because we
>absolutely must get this right; it's really deeply important.  I'm asking
>for your help.

I would furthur add, that the creation of a community of editors who agree
with each other enough to cooperate, should be the primary goal of the
citizendium project.

Just look at wikipedia: stripped to its barest, it is nothing more than a
website which hosts the pages that other people contribute to.  It is
perfectly adapted to the needs of the informational generalist (i.e. nerd)
who really needs nothing more than a place to put all his thoughts.

The citizendium should offer the same simplicity to a different class of
user: for those academics who wants to contribute to an encyclopedia but do
not want to learn about any of the bigger issues related to it, or pay
attention to the context of the article, or generalize their work or fit it
into the bigger picture.  The community would be the "thing" in the CZ,
while the underlying software should come from wikipedia.

Seen in this way, the entire purpose of the CZ would be to create this
community of editors, maintain their editorial integrity and find ways to
make their viewpoints relevant and cutting edge.

Hasan