[Citizendium-l] Editor-oriented tags

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 10:53:20 EST 2006

On 31/10/06, Larry Sanger <sanger-lists at citizendium.org> wrote:

> I have always found editor-oriented tags on Wikipedia articles annoying,
> such as the "cleanup" tag and the "disputed neutrality" tag.  They don't
> help the reader much, I think; they clutter the page and most of what they
> can be said is said with a catch-all disclaimer at the top of all unapproved
> CZ articles:
> But I could be convinced otherwise.  What do you think?

A lot of the template messages on Wikipedia, I find useful as reader
warnings that something is up with this article and to read somewhat
more critically. Wikipedia isn't perfect and doesn't claim to be, and
this is part of letting the reader know it isn't. (A lot of the
reliability problems are IMO people presuming much greater reliability
of Wikipedia than it in fact claims.)

As for their use on Citizendium, presumably the point of Citizendium -
quality control - is that no article is going to go to general release
without someone saying it doesn't need such tags. So perhaps they
would be useful on articles imported from Wikipedia. Or be a reason
not to import that article version from Wikipedia.

- d.