[Citizendium-editors] Larry's List

Hassan Aref haref at vt.edu
Tue Nov 14 03:38:29 EST 2006

Peter,

I think the discussion has already moved some steps beyond the list in that
e-mail, which I refer to as "Larry's razed list", and a couple of important
adjustments have been made.

-- H

On 11/14/06, Dr. Peter Diem <onlineforschung at eunet.at> wrote:

> Dear Larry, dear all,
>
> I endorse Larry's reduction to 36.
> Just for your comfort, here are the GROUPS in Excel
>
> Peter
>
> -----------------------------
>
> All,
>
> Thanks to Peter Diem for moving this forward.
>
> Our remit is to create a set of groups at roughly the same level of
> granularity that together more or less exhaust the various fields of
> study,
> and which are not *too* overlapping.  Consequently, the latest iteration
> has
> needed quite a bit of pruning.
>
> Without more input from people who are actually *in* the various groups,
> however, I don't think we will be able to make a very stable set of groups
> anytime soon.
>
> So this is the set of groups (see below, "THE GROUPS") that I propose to
> create soon--as earlier as later today!  I'm sure we will tweak them as
> necessary over the next few weeks or months, but expect them to ossify,
> not
> because I want them to, but because that's how people are.  :-)
>
> I want to convene a "Jurisdiction" group that works with all groups to
> define their boundaries and overlaps, and helps adjudicate disputes about
> article placement.
>
> --Larry
>
> Added:
> * Computers ("computer science" though a discipline is just too narrow in
> scope)
> * Politics (same as with computers: "politics," used in the old-fashioned
> philosophical sense, handily covers not only political science but
> government and public policy)
> * Logic (because mathematicians and philosophers won't be able to agree
> who
> controls it, and it's a distinct and important enough field to belong at
> the
> top)
>
> Struck (because redundant with, or a branch of, or studied by):
> * Agriculture (Technology for farming methods, Biology for crops)
> * Forestry (Biology)
> * Architecture (Fine Arts)
> * Art, Art History, Design (Fine Arts)
> * Astrophysics (Astronomy)
> * Microbiology (Biology)
> * Botany, Zoology (Biology)
> * "(includes Business Administration)" (Business)
> * Communication (too broad and vague; encompasses Media, which is also
> listed, and Rhetoric, which we're putting with Literature)
> * Journalism (now covered by Media)
> * Consumers (Business, Sociology; I'm not even sure what this means)
> * Demography and Population Studies, includes Census, Immigration
> (Sociology, of course)
> * Ethnology (Anthropology)
> * "(includes Mineralogy, Geology - and Palaeontology ?)" (Earth Sciences)
> * Ecology (a traditional branch of Biology, of course)
> * "(includes Museology)" (depends on the type of museum: music archives
> are
> [...]

Hassan Aref
Niels Bohr Visiting Professor
Center for Fluid Dynamics and Department of Physics, bldg. 309, rm. 246
Technical University of Denmark (DTU)
DK-2800 Kgs. Lyngby, DENMARK

Tel.: +45 4525 3307
E-mail: Hassan.Aref at fysik.dtu.dk