[Citizendium-editors] Revised list of editorial groups

Hassan Aref haref at vt.edu
Sun Nov 12 04:01:54 EST 2006

This post is in response to the list in Peter Diem's e-mail of 11/11 in
which the following list of CZ main categories was proposed:

Agriculture
Anthropology
Archaeology
Architecture
Biology
Business
Classics
Chemistry
Communication
Computer Science
Cooking
Dance
Design
Earth Sciences
Economics
Education
Engineering
Family and Consumer Science
Film
Games
Geography
Health Sciences
History
Hobbies
*International Organizations
Law
Library and Information Science
Linguistics
Literature
Music
Opera
Painting
Philosophy
Physics
Politics
Psychology
Religion
Sculpture
Sociology
Sports
Theater
Transport
*TV and Radio

 A.  Here are some suggested revisions for "the List" (in random order):

(i) plead for using the word Transportation rather than Transport;
(ii) still put in Technology; it is sufficiently broad and distinct from
Engineering, Science, etc.;
(iii) take off TV/Radio since it is covered under such headings as
Communication and Technology;
(iv) would not make Opera a separate category (with a heavy heart) but see
it as covered by Music and Theater;
(v) insert Art although the major art forms should still be listed;
(vi) insert Science although the major sciences should still be listed;
(vii) agree that International ought to be there, but feel International
Organizations is too restrictive;
(viii) would eliminate Cooking in favor of Food;
(ix) restate Family and Consumer Science simply as Family;
(x) insert Natural Resources;
(xi) insert Industry;
(xii) insert Finance;
(xiii) insert Mathematics;
(xiv) use the entry Language instead of or in addition to Linguistics;
(xv) insert Environment;
(xvi) insert Trade;
(xvii) insert Universe;
(xviii) insert Human;

Starting from Peter Diem's list these edits would produce the following
List, which I still think of as preliminary:

Agriculture
Anthropology
Archaeology
Architecture
Art
Biology
Business
Classics
Chemistry
Communication
Computer Science
Dance
Design
Earth Sciences
Economics
Education
Engineering
Environment
Family
Film
Finance
Food
Games
Geography
Health Sciences
History
Hobbies
Human
Industry
International ????
Law
Library and Information Science
Language
(Linguistics)
Literature
Mathematics
Music
Natural Resources
Painting
Philosophy
Physics
Politics
Psychology
Religion
Science
Sculpture
Sociology
Sports
Technology
Theater
Trade
Transportation
Universe

B. Suggestion: Every editor should spend 10 minutes per day contemplating
what is the right list on which to build an encyclopedia!  We should post
and/or circulate "the List" as it currently stands until it converges (which
should happen relatively soon).  Let the first challenge of the editorial
process be to produce a list of main topics for CZ!

If this sounds terribly naive to those of you who think about such
classification issues professionally, please accept my apologies...

--
Hassan Aref
Niels Bohr Visiting Professor

Tel.: +45 4525 3307