[Citizendium-editors] discipline list purpose, listserv

Jon P Radwan radwanjp at shu.edu
Wed Nov 8 14:14:40 EST 2006

I agree with Tom McFadden.  The purpose of the list is not clear.
Moreover, interdisciplinary disciplines like Communication either get left
out or pigeonholed based on one part (Comm. is a Langauge Art according to
lots of school districts, but what about all the media people?).

This is a lot of  email and it's only the first day.  These conversations
are important and I don't want to opt out but I also don't want to deal
with this mass of email.  Is there a reason why we're not using the
discussion board for conversations like this?  Forgive me if we are and I
just don't know it, I'm new to this project and am still finding my way
around.

Happy Thursday!

Jon

Jon Radwan, Ph.D.
Communication Dept.
Seton Hall University
400 South Orange Ave.
South Orange, NJ 07079

"McFadden, Thomas G." <mcfaddet at union.edu>
Sent by: citizendium-editors-bounces at lists.purdue.edu
11/08/2006 01:16 PM

"Nancy SCULERATI-SANES" <nssanes at mac.com>, "Dr. Peter Diem"
<onlineforschung at eunet.at>
cc
citizendium-editors at lists.purdue.edu
Subject
Re: [Citizendium-editors] list of disciplines

My question is:

What is the purpose of a classification scheme of any kind in this
project?  Typical Internet directories are arranged this way, but they
have a difference function.  The online EB has subject browse feature
that looks like this:

Arts & Literature
architecture, Native American arts, sculpture, ...

The Earth & Geography
biosphere, climate, ocean, ...

 Health & Medicine
exercise, human behaviour, therapeutics, ...

 Philosophy & Religion
ethics, metaphysics, sacred, ...

Sports & Recreation
baseball, gardening, gastronomy, ...

 Science & Mathematics
geometry, physical science, social science, ...

Life
angiosperm, evolution, heredity, ...

 Society
peoples of the world, political system, social change, ...

 Technology
energy conversion, engineering, machine, ...

History
chronology, historiography, pre-Columbian civilizations, ...

But the real retrieval is through the index and A-Z topic browse
features.  Perhaps we should not invest a huge amount of time in a
classification scheme that is not particularly useful?

Tom

T. G. McFadden, College Librarian
Schaffer Library
Union College
Schenectady, NY 12308
518-388-6277
mcfaddet at union.edu

"Let them admit first that it's not right to put people in prison
for their way of thinking...."

Gleb Vikentyevich Nerzhin